Sunday, April 18, 2010

Whoops...

I have to admit that I got lazy. In fact, I didn't even tell anyone that I had started blogging back in September because I didn't want my friends or family to actually try and follow me in blog world. I had a feeling blogging was going to go south quickly, considering our wedding was coming up fast.
Our timeline went something like this:
8.08 - Get engaged!
8.08 - 6.09 - Sit around, eat bacon and cake, and procrastinate wedding planning.
7.09 - Decide on a whim to have a wedding in 6 months.
9.09 - Realize we haven't actually done any wedding planning. Crap.
You can imagine the madness that happened after this. Long story short, to date we have made it through 3 whole months of wedded bliss. I consider that a success.

We shall talk more about wedding things later, but now, back to our house. One of the major selling points of our house was a huge great room with cathedral ceilings. The combination living/dining area lured us in and had us at hello. The first issue we had was painting this bad boy. When we first moved in I was convinced we needed to go bold. This ultimately led to some scary choices for paint in both the kitchen and the bedroom. Think bizarre accent walls and pea soup green. I'm still scared thinking about it. Luckily for the great room I took my time and did my research on keeping things cohesive with paint. Our original color scheme in the house included a yellowish brown color in our mediocre great room. The rest of the house hadn't seen a paint brush since the dry wall was covered up with basic white. It was around the same time that I was doing my research that I found out about Glidden's big paint giveaway. It was probably the most exciting thing to happen to me since I discovered loaded baked potatoes. After careful selection I decided on 'soft suede' for my free color. In the neutral family, it looked dark, but not too dark. After living with a giant square on my wall for a few weeks I decided to go for it. We picked a complementary color for the ceiling, although now I kind of wish we'd gone darker. Feel free to let me know what you think:

Here is the view from our front door towards our gigantic room... (the color doesn't look so bad, does it? That may have something to do with the minimal amount of light we get up here. It's almost cave like. I'm pretty sure I saw some bats flying around once...)

Here is my man slave getting down and dirty with some spackle in the living room area of the room.

Is that a church or my house?! Here is the white ceiling in all of it's ridiculous glory. It draws the eye up, and not in a good way. I'd love to eventually throw some beams up there and call it a day. And don't worry, the ceiling fans will eventually be a thing of the past. But onto the painting...
After recruiting the fam for a day to help me paint...


And the end result:

Not too much darker, but enough to make a drastic difference. In all about a million times better than what it was. We are going to have to see how it contrasts with our dark wood floors, which will hopefully soon be installed. I'm not opposed to changing it up if we can find sa color we like better. For now this will have to work. Up next? Our booger green accent wall bedroom makeover. Stick around, you won't want to miss that fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment