Monday, April 19, 2010

Adventures in booger green

When we bought the house I was determined to have at least one room painted before we did anything else. The room that I sacrificed to the inexperienced painter gods just happened to be our bedroom. The place that was supposed to scream peace and relaxation. While lurking around on Rate My Space I found a bedroom that was bold and in your face. And it included... an accent wall. My thought process was something like this: Accent wall? Do I need one of those? If I do it then it might sound like I know what I'm doing. It's just paint, I can always re-do it. What colors did this lady use.... green and khaki? How hard can that be?
Little did I know at the time, but there are approximately 4,953 shades of both khaki and green. I picked out 2 that were near eachother on the paint wall and dove in head first. When all was said and done it took us 2 weeks to paint one room. ONE ROOM!!! We made every mistake that the beginning painter can make. Paint on the ceiling, too much paint on the brush, gloopy drips down the wall, painting while drunk (ok maybe not completely drunk, but a glass or 2 of wine will definately impair your painting know-how). You name it we did it.
In the end, we wound up with this:

My attempts at soft khaki and complementary green actually looked like the colors of mustard and relish. Granted those 2 things are TOTALLY complementary... To a hot dog. And ladies and gentlemen, my bedroom is not a hot dog.
Here is a close up of the corner:
(blech).
After 2 weeks of painting hell Mike and I both told each other we liked it and went about our business. In reality coming into that room after a long day of work was downright depressing. When I mentioned to Mike that I was thinking about re-painting it what I got was "Thank god... That room reminds me of boogers". And so I made it my mission in life to start the bedroom off on the right track. After weeks of deliberation the color I settled on was Antique Silver by Glidden. I love Glidden's color wall, mainly due to the fact that it is completely NOT overwhelming. They also offer those nifty little tester bottles (which come in handy for touch ups down the line). It took me 8 hours to prime and paint this ENTIRE ROOM (which was a long way from our first 2 week fiasco)!
Here is my end result:

I'm going to have to snap a photo in the daytime. This was taken immediately after the bed was put back into place (I couldn't help it, I was giddy with excitement). And don't get me wrong this room is far from finished. Our big plans include crown molding, some wall art, fancy window shades and plans for a DIY floor mirror in there to bounce some light all over the place.
Thanks again for stopping in to check out my spaces and listen to me rambling... up next my attempt to take a free(!) dresser I scored on craigslist from broke down and scary to my favorite piece in the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment